5.04.2011

Review: Eternal Rider

Larissa Ione
PNR
402 pages
Lords of Deliverance #1
Excerpt
Grand Central Publishing


Synopsis:
His name is Ares, and the fate of mankind rests on his powerful shoulders. If he falls to the forces of evil, the world falls too. As one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, he is far stronger than any mortal, but even he cannot fight his destiny forever. Not when his own brother plots against him.

Yet there is one last hope. Gifted in a way other humans can't-or won't-understand, Cara Thornhart is the key to both this Horseman's safety and his doom. But involving Cara will prove treacherous, even beyond the maddening, dangerous desire that seizes them the moment they meet. For staving off eternal darkness could have a staggering cost: Cara's life.


Review:
PNR is not a go-to for me, but I must admit that I really really enjoyed Eternal Rider.  The story centers around the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and it was clear from the start that this book was going to be more about the legend than just about a guy and girl hookin up. I realized early on that the book was going to let the plot rein supreme, and if there's a love connection along the way, so be it.  Now, this author is new to me so maybe that's her MO, but I liked it. I liked it very much. PNR fans shouldn't worry though, there's plenty of steam, and sweat, and blush-worthy stuff happening; you just need to be patient.  


Like I mentioned, the author is pretty new to me, so maybe she does this all the time, but I loved that the book equally included the other characters of the series, as much as it centered around the hero & heroine. We get a glimpse into each of the other demon's personality, and even a little of their past.  Even the "bad" brother is given the spotlight from time to time.  It added intrigue to the series as a whole for me; ensuring that I'm totally hooked in and anxious to read the next demon's story.  The couple does get a lot of the focus, but it easily feels like it's only due to the way the story unfolds not just because they're pretty hot for each other.  Genuinely, there is a story being told here. 


I'm still surprised with how grim the storyline was in Eternal Rider.  I'm not really sure what I expected from a story about the four horsemen of the apocalypse, but yeah bring a flashlight because it's dark.  Having said that though, it works.  The mythology of the four horsemen is interesting and the author puts her own spin on things, which for me, kept this age old story unique and interesting to watch unfold. I'm not really sure why, but It took a few chapters to really come together for me, but after that, the story became impossible to stop reading.  The pace is intense and really gets the blood pumping. 


Bottom Line: A PNR that creates a story where there is a couple because of the story, not a story because there's a couple, has my attention, and my recommendation any day. 


4 stars

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I never knew you didn't like PNR! I thought because you read a lot of UF you'd be a PNR fan! Shows me never judge a book by its cover ;) Couldn't resist the saying, sorry! So glad you liked this book though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting ready to read Pleasure Unbound for Vampire Book Club's group read, and you know how I am about PNR, so I'm really glad to see you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad you liked it. And not only because I told you you should read it, but because it's a good book! It did take some time to build, but once it did...good things happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally: Yeah, I"m kinda a UF junkie ;)

    Kristin: Well this is a different series than that one..so no getting mad at me if you no likey. LOL

    Julie: I'm excited for book #2 :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I really want to read this book! I bought it the other day at Target after all the fantastic reviews on it and now this just makes me want to read it that much more! :-D It's moving up to the top of my list (after reading my giveaway wins first!).

    ReplyDelete