10.26.2010

Review- Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between

Like I've mentioned before, I read on my ipad a lot; instant gratification ya know.  Anyway, I pulled up Dead Undead, looking for some of the quotes I highlighted, and my list was looong.  I highlighted descriptive text, I noted pithy dialog and rules to live by.  I'm pretty sure I've never highlighted so much in one book.  

Saare's writing style was the first of many surprises in Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between, and it took hold of me right away. She's that little voice inside your head that says all the thoughts you think are too rude/honest to ever let out.  Her voice is razor sharp and expressive is really too weak a word.  
"Stripping is not a fair or unbiased career field.  Your body and looks are your livelihood.  Once those two things go, it's only a matter of time before you punch your last T&A ticket. And Erica's stub was wilting faster than a golden wrapped candy bar that would gain her admittance into the chocolate factory."


Rhiannon might have just claimed the #1 spot of my favorite heroine.  I know it has a lot to do with the voice that Saare provides, but Rhiannon's character never stopped surprising me.  She's bold and her convictions are true. I love that she never waivers from who she is, but that she allows herself to grow into a better version of herself by the end of the story.  And her "laws" are are now posted all over my computer.
"Rhiannon's Law #16: If it looks like a rabbit, and it hops like a rabbit, run the other way and fast.  That shit is laible to tear your arm off Monty Python and the Holy Grail style."
"Rhiannon's Law #37: Don't get so high and mighty.  God will only reward that arrogance with a huge bitch slap back to reality."
"Rhiannon's Law #27: When you're working in a gentlemen's club and one of your dancers takes off those heels, alert the big guns, an ass kicking is on the menu."
Well the last one doesn't really pertain to my life per-say, but good advice non-the-less. She's a smart-aleck
"And what is it you do, ..."
Bartender? No. Pool player? No. Ghost hunter? No. Full-time smart ass? No. I was running out of ideas and she was waiting.
Yet, she never stops surprising you.  Out of the blue she'll make a statement so heartfelt, you take notice. You just know what she's feeling while you're reading it aloud.
"...but forgetting your mistakes made you prone to repeat them..." 


Rhiannon and Disco's pairing is one of my favorite.  Rhiannon is crass while Disco's voice is smooth and luxurious.  The contrast between the two gives depth to their partnership. Nothing is rushed, which can ruin a perfectly good story for me, and I enjoyed their repartee.
"That's a nasty habit, you know." I wrinkled my nose distastefully and pointed at the cigarette.
"I'll make you a deal. I'll put down the smokes if you stop speaking so crudely."
"Fuck that."
And even though the story takes place over the course of a week or so, the connection that is made is meaningful and compassionate, and you don't doubt that these characters are kindred souls always meant for each other. 

You'll notice that I've yet to touch on the story-line...I'm aware. I don't want to slip and give anything away. I will say, that the story got better and better as it went and never stopped surprising me.  And I think I might use the word "shock" to describe where it took me.


Bottom Line: There's a waiting period of 2 months, or my name would already be Rhiannon...too blunt?


4.5 stars

16 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read this book yet though your review certainly tempts me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! So glad you loved it! I figured you would. This is really a wonderful piece of work by Saare. I love Rhiannon's personality and boldness. She is one of my favorite characters running lately. :) Jaime is starting to get a great following here in the blog/twitter world. :) Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simcha: Oh please do. You wont be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa: I'm pretty sure I owe this rec to you. I feel like I just cant say enough good things about this book. Jaime needs more than a cult following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your review! I am so addicted to this book and I am so happy that more people are reading it! JA Saare has become one of my favorite authors because her voice is so unique. I still go fangirl on her when we talk. LOL!

    Rhiannon quickly became my favorite heroine while Disco...oh Disco. I am so in love with him. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before: I wanted to read this book. Now: I really really want to read this book!!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lovvvved this book so much! I agree with all of your points. I loved your quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica ~

    Thank you so much for the lovely review. I'm a bit behind on visiting blogs since Blogger has it out for me, but I was thrilled to see this.

    I'm returning to work next week (fingers crossed) on the next book. Bells has threatened bodily harm if I don't wrap up The Renfield Syndrome ASAP. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bells: LOL "I still go faingirl on her..." I might join you there.
    You're such the cool kid for being one of the firsts to find/read "Dead" you can rec me a book anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie: oh you must! you must! I promise you wont be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colette: I love that we read this at the same time, it was nice to be able to scream WHAAAAT?! with someone! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jaime: I might be joining forces with Bells soon ;) I'm only kidding....well kinda.

    Dead, Undead was a pleasure to read. And I look forward to starting the rest of your books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just ordered this book and Crimson Moon from Amazon FINALLY!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet Disco and Rhiannon :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pamela: I so want to read Crimson Moon!...soon...very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to read this. I need to stop talking about reading it and pick it up, I want to be in the loop on Rhiannon and Disco! Thanks for your thoughts on this one, I can't wait to read and then be on the Disco train with you and everyone else:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny:
    1 ticket on the Disco Train: $6.95
    Having hours and hours of swoon-worthy fun: priceless

    ReplyDelete