11.30.2010

Review- Magic in the Blood

Devon Monk
Urban Fantasy
368 pages
Allie Beckstrom Series #2
Excerpt
Roc/Penguin Usa


Goodreads Synopsis:
Working as a Hound—tracing illegal spells back to their casters—has taken its toll on Allison Beckstrom. But even though magic has given her migraines and stolen her recent memory, Allie isn’t about to quit. Then the police’s magic enforcement division asks her to consult on a missing persons case. But what seems to be a straightforward job turns out to be anything but, as Allie finds herself drawn into the underworld of criminals, ghosts, and blood magic.


One of my new favorite heroines is back, and Allie has to sort through a lot of emotions and missing memories in hopes of figuring out who she's become, this time around.  We start a couple weeks after the end of Magic to the Bone, and I really enjoy when an author does that in a series. I feel like my characters haven't made any important moves or decisions without me. {I'm aware how bizarre that sounds} 


Allie is very inward in this installment and she's sad and a little lost actually. She's not quite as tough because she doesn't really believe in herself; I think she doesn't really trust herself most of the book.  I ended up really enjoying who her character became, but it took a little bit of frustration to get there.  Having a transition in her character so early in the series was an interesting move by Monk, but I have to admit that it makes me really interested to see what's in store for us later on.  


My favorite part of this book is all the new characters that are introduced.  I have secret hopes for all of them, which says a lot about the power of each of them.  But, if I had to pick one favorite it would be Davy.  He becomes Allie's confidant and she really needs someone in her corner, so of course I have a soft spot for him.  I hope he's not going anywhere anytime soon. 


Even though Zayvion Jones isn't around as much as I would have initially liked, or hoped for I began to appreciate his absence.  And I actually think Allie {and the series} will be better for it.  


Bottom Line: A good follow up to a series that is still one of my favorite finds of 2010


4 stars

7 comments:

  1. Great review Jessica, I really need to start this series! If you are a big fan of Allie, I feel like I will be as well, so these are going to be on my Christmas list when I go on an unparalleled book buying spree:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh you finished!!!! This one was good, but I can't wait for you to get to the next one!!! Even more awesome secondary characters are introduced!!! And now I'll shut up. Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny: Thanks. It's a great series, you wont be dissapointed

    Pam: Scored the next one at half price books yesterday... its fate

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I feel like my characters haven't made any important moves or decisions without me." OMG I totally get what you mean. I also love when not too much time has passed between books. You feel more a part of their world.
    Great Review Jess. I can't wait to get to book 3. I'm shuffling things around to get to it sooner...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie: I can't shuffle until next week I think, and its killing me. Can't wait to read your review later today xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series is being moved to the top of the TBR pile. And it might have something to do with custom made cheerleader outfits. *wiggles eyebrows*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen: You SO want to be part of this cheerleader squad LOL

    ReplyDelete