2.07.2011

Review: One Foot in the Grave

Jeaniene Frost
PNR
357 pages
Night Huntress #2
First 50 pages
Avon


Synopsis:
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.




Review:
I read the first book in the Night Huntress series a while ago, and honestly didn't see myself picking up the rest of the series anytime soon. I kept seeing so many of my literary friends rave about the series and mention how excited they were for the next book's upcoming release, so I decided to succumb to peer pressure and give the series another go.  All in all I was happy with the changes the author made with the characters and with the storyline.  Am I in love with series? No. Am I happy to finally be a member of the Chapter 32 club?? You bet your ass I am.


Cat & Bones create a fun and accessible hero/heroine duo.  Their chemistry is scorching and for the most part they're interesting characters. Cat is head-strong both professionally and personally.  She's definitely the alpha of the relationship, but I don't think Bones minds. Bones is never wavering with his emotions, and is a great compliment for Cat's personality.  The main fault I had with them is purely personal preference. I think I like a bit more of a challenge when it comes to a relationship. I like relationships to have a few more struggles, be a bit more humanized... yes, even for vampires. 


The pace of the story was fast and I nearly read the entire book in one sitting.  There was a lot more history about the characters that came into play, that had me intrigued and did leave me wanting more.  The numerous secondary characters were maybe the best part.  I think they added the right amount of interest and depth to the story, and the perfect amount of face-time. Cat's police partners were my favorite to get to know.  


Bottom Line: I haven't sent off for my C&B fan membership packet yet, but this quick and entertaining read had just enough new surprises to keep me interested and thinking about diving into the entire series head first.


3.5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Everyone makes a big deal about Chapter 32 and it's great & hot and all, but for me my most favorite part of this book is the fight between Annette and Cat before it! That was some funny a$$ sh*t LOL I'm sad this series isn't blowing wind up your skirt! But that's how it works sometimes, the series everyone else raves about you're left going "huh."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: The cat fight was pretty awesome! Yeah I can't even put my finger on exactly what has me "eh"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela, that fight is epic! You're so right! I just like the chemistry between Cat and Bones and the other characters. And Chapter 32 is different for a PNR. I think that's why people are in awe of it. It's okay to not continue Jessica. It just means that you are not a PNR girl. It's fine. I'll still like you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie: Yeah "different" is great way to say to describe Chap 32... def a first for any PNR I've read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that you are going to maybe pick up the next books and that you gave the series another try. I really enjoy this series, now it was one of my first PNR and maybe that is why but I still enjoy the books. Book 4 is still my favorite so maybe you should keep reading so you can see what I'm talking about! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cat and Bones. I hope This Side of the Grave is all it's supposed to be. I've laughed, cried and gotten angry reading these - i just love them to death!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna: I'm totally picked up the next books. don't worry :)

    Escape by Fiction: I'm interested to see what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete