2.04.2011

Review: Siren Song

Cat Adams
Urban Fantasy 
384 pages
Blood Singer #2
Excerpt
Tor


Synopsis:

Nothing if not resilient, Celia Graves is slowly adjusting to being a half-human, half-vampire Abomination. But her troubles are far from over. Her best friend’s murder is still unsolved, the cops are convinced she should be in jail, and her old lover, the magician Bruno DeLuca, has resurfaced in her life, saying he has something important to tell her.
The vampire attack that transformed Celia kicked her latent Siren abilities into high gear, and now she’s been summoned to the Sirens’ island to justify her existence—and possibly fight for her life—in front of the Siren Queen. Celia isn’t sure she’ll survive to make the trip. The demon she defeated in Blood Song hasn’t exactly gone quietly—he’s left Celia suffering from a powerful curse.


Review:
Wow, Siren Song starts off right away and literally doesn't let off until the very last sentence.  The writing duo known as Cat Adams has a way to shut me off from the world and submerse me in Celia Grave's life, and I'm not complaining about it.

I always love how there are so many parts of the same story happening in Adams' books.  It creates the most tantalizing case of "whoa, what does this mean?!" The plot is well-planned and always changing, and there is a LOT to keep the mind engaged.  Let me just tell you what all we're dealing with in this second book. One of King G's men needs Celia to help him with a delicate case that he claims is a matter of the future of their country, but he goes missing before she can help.  Bruno's kinda back in her life, but things aren't developing like she might have thought.  There's a new PI that wants to partner up with her, but that leaves his old partner on the outs...really pissing him off.  She's still got the trial from the state to decide if they think she's fit to remain in society {versus being locked up in a state facility} and they still want to try her for her murders {defensive or not} AND she's still got the sirens to contend with and a new player shows up looking to stir up even more trouble with Celia and the sirens.  *phew*  I'm exhausted just looking at it all.  And it all somehow ties together! See what I mean about a complex story-line.  Readers will never know what to expect next.

Celia is still the gem of the series though.  There is something about the way she's been designed that makes her come alive among the pages.  She's fearless while still vulnerable emotionally, making her all together human.  I nearly cried for what she was going through at one point, just because I was that upset for her.  I came away from this book with even deeper rooted feelings and I can't wait to see how it's all gonna end in Demon Song.

Bottom Line: If you're interested in a dark and richly crafted plot with even more pronounced characters are you in for a treat; the blood singer series is exactly what you've been waiting for.

4 stars




2 comments:

  1. This one sounds like another great book series! I am a sucker for series and until I got into the blogging community I never realized how many series were out there! I'll have to look into this.

    (Side note, how do you figure out which Genre books fit into? Some of them seem so extremely close in topic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to remember if I have the first book on my shelves here to read. I can't remember any more. But this sounds like a great series. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete