8.24.2010

Review- Pure Blood

It's been a few months since Luna's adventures in Night Life.   Remember, her cousin has moved out, she's been outed as a Were to her fellow law officers, and Dimitri has been ordered away after being infected with a demon's bite.   Luna is pretty low. She comes back to work only to be assigned a new partner who she can't stand and a new captain who can't stand Luna.  Luna is restricted to "low-hanging fruit" type cases, but her first OD turns into something much more than what it seems.


The fact that Luna's first case back develops into a citywide war is slightly cliche, but I can accept it.  The story was well paced and only digressesd slightly.  CK's writing is the biggest improvement in my opinion.  I had a better understanding of our character's decisions and the needless outbreaks (my earlier grumble) are relatively non-existent. 


Luna's character is a lot different from the last book.  She's more vulnerable, and was even funny at times.  She's still fighting for everything tooth and nail, but it just came off much more believable, approachable this time around.  Throughout the story, I sympathized more for Luna.  She finally became a narrator that I want to care about.


Dimitri is still making decisions unlike any male I've ever read before, but I'm chalking it up to the Were in him. After all, what do I know about being a Were?


A few of the minor characters from the first book popped up throughout the story which gave it a sense of familiarity. But most of the new characters didn't really have an effect on me, except for the introduction of Luna's "maker" Joshua.  I hope that he shows his sorry face again soon.


Overall, I liked this book and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.


3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment