1.19.2011

Review- Tracking The Tempest

Nicole Peeler
Urban Fantasy
348 pages
Jane True #2
Orbit Books

Synopsis:
Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and Ryu - Jane's bloodsucking boyfriend - can't let a major holiday go by without getting all gratuitous. An overwhelming dose of boyfriend interference and a last-minute ticket to Boston later, and Jane's life is thrown off course.



Ryu's well-intentioned plans create mayhem, and Jane winds up embroiled in an investigation involving a spree of gruesome killings. All the evidence points towards another Halfling, much to Jane's surprise...






Review:
This book was as much about Jane playing catch-up with her thoughts and emotions as it was about the crazy psycho-killa.  Jane has finally released herself from the emotional prison she's been locked away in since her first love died years before. But is she ready for a new relationship? Does she understand how that's suppose to be/feel.  Since I absolutely adore Jane, it was great to watch her open up. It was even better that it didn't change our beloved/hilarious/surprising heroine.
Right now, the otherwise very sophisticated vampire by my side had a mouth saying "I'm so glad you're here, Miss True." But what his eyebrows were saying was "I'ma rock yo' shit, shorty." I liked what both his mouth and his eyebrows had to say, so I strained up on my tippy-toes to kiss them each in turn. Ryu obliged me by stooping into kiss range.
"I'm glad I'm here too, " I told him, trying to get my own eyebrows to say "I'ma rock you right back, boo," but I managed only to look constipated. 
At the same time, everything is officially hitting the fan among the supernaturals.  There's a crazy serial killer on the loose that leads Jane, Ryu, and Anyan into a nasty world of nightmare-proportion experiments aimed at half-breeds like Jane.  At every turn she seemed to be under attack, setting a fast-paced story.  Her relationship with Ryu and others are evolving and I for one was extremely happy with the outcome.  
Peeler's second book in the Jane True series has a continuity that make this feel like Act II of a larger tale. She introduces us to a list of new characters though, helping the story remain interesting and distinct.  

Bottom Line: Great follow up to a new-to-me series.  I am desperate for more.

4 stars

1 comment:

  1. LOL! See you are soooo hooked. These are some great reads. There is a story here and its fun. Can't ask for anything more. Such a great world. So glad you are enjoying these books.

    I really enjoyed meeting all the new characters in this one.

    ReplyDelete